8 Weeks Before the Move
- Contact a professional mover or truck rental and get estimates: make early reservations.
- Decide what furniture stays and what furniture goes.
- Use up things that cannot be moved (frozen food & flammable household aerosol cleaning supplies).
6 Weeks Before the Move
- Inventory your possessions and determine what will be sold or donated.
- Get copies of records from doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, etc.
- Transfer children's school records.
4 Weeks Before the Move
- Hold a garage sale then arrange for storage, if you need it.
3 Weeks Before the Move
- Assemble package materials: dolly, scissors, packing tape, bubble wrap, newspaper, rope, boxes, etc.
- Begin packing items you won't need.
- Arrange cancellation of utilities at old home and have them installed at the new home.
- Make travel and hotel reservations.
- Get car license, registration, and insurance in order.
2 Weeks Before the Move
- Transfer bank account and cancel direct deposit or automatic payments on account you are closing.
- Make special arrangements for pets. Consult your veterinarian for tips on making the move easier.
- Get your car checked and serviced for the trip.
1 Week Before the Move
- Transfer all medical prescriptions to the pharmacy in your new location.
- Return library books and videos, send out dry-cleaning and pick up after the move.
- Finish major packing, labeling boxes by contents and room destinations.
2 or 3 Days Before the Move
- Defrost refrigerator.
- Have cash on hand.
- Pack a weekend bag in case of delay.
- Pack a 'first day handy items' box: scissors, utility knife, coffee cups, tea kettle, paper plates, paper towels, instant coffee, tea, soft drinks, water, soap, pencils, paper, local phone book, bath towel & toiletries kit.
- Pick up rental truck early.
- Inspect basement, attic, and garage.
- Turn off water, lock all doors and windows.
- List every item loaded onto the truck to use for a checklist as they come off.